iptables won't start today

Matthew Galgoci mgalgoci at redhat.com
Thu Apr 22 22:11:25 UTC 2004

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Chuck Campbell wrote:

> > > nope, clearly a problem...
> > > ls: /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2174.nptlBOOT/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip*: No such file or directory
> >
> > Dude, you installed the BOOT kernel. The BOOT kernel is minimal and only the base
> > drivers and features required to install a system are enabled. You should switch
> > to the regular kernel of the same version and you should pretty much be set.
>
> so I need to install
> kernel-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl.i686.rpm
> instead of
> kernel-BOOT-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl.i386.rpm

You are correct.

> That is what this is about?

Yes.

> I guess I hadn't rebooted since the kernel install until yesterday.  That's why
> things broke now...

Yup.

> I did the kernel rpm install, and I'm rebooting now.

Always reboot immediately after a kernel upgrade. That way you are sure to catch
stuff like this.

One of the biggest problems I have seen in my career are changes that people make
on a running system that don't follow through and update the corresponding config
files, regardless if the system is a linux box or a cisco router. :)

Whenever you do major surery on a machine, it is always good to make sure it passes
the reboot test and comes up configured as you would expect. Of course this is not
always possible :\

--
Matthew Galgoci
System Administrator and Sr. Manager of Ruminants