installed new hard drive - now can't find it

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Mon Apr 26 22:03:13 UTC 2004

Dana Holland wrote:
> This is a RAID-5, and this would be the 5th drive.

OK, so that means I don't have the skillset to help.

1) If something is supposed to automatically find this drive and add it
to the RAID without you doing anything then that sounds dangerous.

2) From your fstab below it is clear that you are making extensive use
of labeled partitions. Only sda11 and sda10 are mounted by pure SCSI
numbers. Everything else is mounted by label.

You might try running

sfdisk -s

which should list the partitions of all disks it can find. MAybe you'll
spot a new /dev/sdX number. Run it with the new drive powered up and
powered down to look for differences. However, if the drive isn't
partitioned at all then I don't think it's going to find anything.