having problem with FTP connection

Bruce McDonald brucemcdonal at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 27 03:35:47 UTC 2004

Hello Naeem

On 26-Apr-04, you wrote:

> Hi professionals,

> I am new to redhat. Got installed redhat ES 2.1 and wondering how to
> enable ftp connection. I have fixed the telnet by modified the file named
> "telnet" under /etc/xinetd.d. But I have not found anything related to ftp
> or wu-ftp.

I am assuming you want to set up an ftp server here.
I don't use ES 2.1, but in Redhat 9 vsftpd is what is used, not wu-ftp.
The place the config file lives is /etc/vsftpd I assume that will be the
same for you.
There are two more files for access restriction that reside in /etc  they
are vsftpd.ftpusers and vsftpd.user_list

> Please share your experience on how to set it up. please be noted that
> whenever i try to initiate the ftp client connection, it errors out with
> "Error: 10036, connection refused"

For setup I would consult the documentation that can be found on RedHat's
site specific to your installation and Googling for 'vsftpd setup RedHat'.
The error sounds like you have an ftp server started already.  Try the
'services vsftpd status' command and see if you get anything.  This is
assuming that vsftpd ships with ES 2.1.
With no server running here I get the Error---   ftp: Connect:  Connection
refused.

I hope this sends you in the right direction.  I am just starting out on the
learning curve in my spare time (Whats that?).

Regards
Bruce