can't boot after a problem-less installation of redhat ES 2.1

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Apr 27 17:39:12 UTC 2004

Naeem Shah wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to install redhat ES 2.1 to a P-3 intel pentium PC with 256 RAM
> and 40 GB hd. Installation phase completes without even a single difficulty.
> At last screen of the installation, it asks to press enter so that the
> system could boot with linux. The boot process seems to start ok and it gets
> down to somelines without any problem. Then it display the following line
> and get stuck for ever: (I dont remember the full line) but I am sure it is
> something to do with my system BIOS settings. But what it could be exactly?
> I have successfully installed redhat 7.1 on this machine without any
> problems.
>
> apm: BIOS version ......
>
> pls help me out on how to get resolve this problem?

Disable apm at the boot command line.  If you're using grub, add "noapm"
to the end of the "kernel" line.  If using LILO, hit "CTRL-X" at the
RedHat screen and enter "linux noapm".

If that solves it, add "noapm" to the end of the "kernel" line in
/boot/grub/grub.conf for the kernel you're running.  If you use lilo,
edit /etc/lilo.conf and add:

	append="noapm"

to the end of the stanza describing your kernel and rerun lilo.
-     Veni, Vidi, VISA:  I came, I saw, I did a little shopping.     -