xdpyinfo | grep RENDER question

Hi,
I find this interesting and a bit puzzling. I have two local machines and one remote machine. Both local machines indicate that they support the "RENDER" extension in X11 locally:

mknecht Jack1 mknecht $ xdpyinfo | grep RENDER
    RENDER
mknecht Jack1 mknecht $

mknecht Jack2 mknecht $ xdpyinfo | grep RENDER
    RENDER
mknecht Jack2 mknecht $

When Jack1 ssh's to Wizard, my home machine, then Wizard says RENDER is not supported. However, when I ssh from Jack2 Wizard tells me that RENDER is supported:

mknecht Jack1 mknecht $ !ssh
ssh -X -C -c blowfish -l mark  mark.myvnc.com
Password:
Last login: Wed Apr 28 10:00:32 2004 from w.x.y.z
mark Wizard mark $ xdpyinfo  | grep RENDER
mark Wizard mark $

mknecht Jack2 mknecht $ !ssh
ssh -X -C -c blowfish -l mark  mark.myvnc.com
Password:
Last login: Wed Apr 28 10:01:05 2004 from w.x.y.z
mark Wizard mark $ xdpyinfo  | grep RENDER
    RENDER
mark Wizard mark $

Now, running Evolution remotely from Jack2 is fast, but running Evolution from Jack1 is slow and I get a message about

Xlib: extension "RENDER" missing

so I assume this is part of the problem, but I don't know if it's the X11 server on Jack1 (or Wizard?) or something in my ssh setup. (Or something else?)

Any ideas on how I can get Jack1 to see and use (or make available) the RENDER option?

Thanks,
Mark