Corruption

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Apr 30 22:06:10 UTC 2004

Chris Hewitt wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> J.L. Coenders wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Does anyone know how to check for corrupt files/disks, etc.? I have
>>> some issues archiving my Mail directory (see subject: Tar/Zip/Rar
>>> trouble) and am wondering if anyone knows how to check this?
>>

>> There's no way to check for corrupt files because there's no way to
>> know what's supposed to be in the file in the first place.  The only
>

> I've not been following this thread so this may have been mentioned
> before (if so I apologise).

It's not much of a thread, Chris.  Just one message before my pithy
(or should that be "pathetic") response.

>                            If you are having so much trouble with file
> corruption that you are looking for a way to check for it then there is
> probably something fundermental wrong. I would suggest running fsck
> anyway, but it could be that you disc drive is on the way out. What
> filesystem are you using? ext2/ext3 are pretty robust, but ReiserFS is
> reported to be more liable to corruption that some others.

Very true.  reiserfs is faster than greased owl droppings but you pay
for that with filesystem fragility.  Me?  I like cast-iron filesystems.
I've spent too many late nights futzing with recoveries.
-        Brain:  The organ with which we think that we think.        -