Question

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Aug 6 15:52:23 UTC 2004

brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, jludwig wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 20:08, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Brad ,

>>>Well you could try to use
>>>
>>>#fetchmail -v -v which according to the man page would produce
>>>
>>>more diagnostic information and possibly we could see there
>>>what's kicking .

>>>Regards ,
>>>   Kostas
>>>

> I want to thank everyone for your help, by using the suggestions
> on this list I was able to track down where the problem probably
> was and what was happening which helped me narrow down my web
> search and I found the answer.
>
> Apparently comcast is using a windows server and it's POP3 is not
> standard so about 80K though an email download using POP3 it
> sends an expected end of file.  To get around this you need to
> add the fetchall commnad and now I get my full file downloaded.
>
> One last question and I'll stop.  I've been running my fetchmail
> command as a cron job because for some reason it doesn't want to
> keep running using the daemon command.

Don't you need to run fetchmail as the user you want it to fetch mail
for?  Running it from the /etc/rc.d stuff will try to run it as the root
user and you probably don't have a "~root/.fetchmailrc" file.

> Reading what others posted about fetchmail I though I would
> change my setup and run in rc.local using the command "fetchmail
> -v -v -l0 -d900" but it doesn't seem to want to start there.

Don't use "-v"s when running as a daemon--daemons don't have a stdout.

> Where do you put your fetchmail command to get it running on
> boot?

You could put it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local but you'd need to prefix it
as

	su -c "fetchmail -d 900" normalusername
-         Okay, who put a "stop payment" on my reality check?        -