Gnome X on RH9

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Aug 6 00:47:29 UTC 2004

karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
>>>input field for login name and password. No focus and no response
>>>either.
>>>Waiting for 30 seconds results in a login screen again. If I do
>>>CTRL-ALT,
>>>BKSPC, the server closes down like when logging off and then after 30
>>>seconds comes back.
>>
>>Now that's starting to smell like a DNS issue, with the system trying to
>>reverse resolve its address to set up the required permissions and such.
>>Is this machine on a dialup or something?
>

> Nope, DSL. I've been using this thing for a while. In the beginning this
> happened. I messed with it for a while using KDE (second choice behind
> gnome; please no religious fire-bombs), then one day logged back in using
> gnome and it worked just fine. I changed a couple display settings and it
> blew up, but reversing them doesn't fix it... screen resolution.
>
> Wouldn't KDE also have a problem working if it was DNS?

KDE does some different ownership stuff than Gnome does.  There are also
some differences with device naming and interactions with kudzu.

I'm going to have to think about this a bit.  Right now, I'm kinda
busy figuring out how to tweak an FTP server to allow chrooted people
to traverse a symlink to another volume.
-          "How does that damned three seashell thing work?"         -
-                           - Sylvester Stallone, "Demolition Man"   -