Gnome X on RH9

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Aug 6 01:37:42 UTC 2004

karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
>>>gnome and it worked just fine. I changed a couple display settings and it
>>>blew up, but reversing them doesn't fix it... screen resolution.
>
> Wouldn't KDE also have a problem working if it was DNS?
>
>>KDE does some different ownership stuff than Gnome does.  There are also
>
> some differences with device naming and interactions with kudzu.
>
> Ownership... Since Gnome starts after a reboot, I wonder if there's
> something being changed in /tmp/.* that is affecting this thing. I have
> rc.local cleaning out /tmp on reboots... [gone looking]
>

>>I'm going to have to think about this a bit.  Right now, I'm kinda busy
>
> figuring out how to tweak an FTP server to allow chrooted people to
> traverse a symlink to another volume.
>
> Doesn't wu-ftp lock out following symlinks? The only way I've gotten
> symlinks to work was by using sftp.

A chrooted user can follow symlinks as long as the _destination_ is
below their chrooted root directory (typically their home directory).  I
need to allow them to go to a totally different filesystem.  I could use
"mount --bind", but I really don't want a ton of funky mounts cluttering
things up.

I may have to bite the bullet and simply tell them to upload certain
content, they must use a different FTP server altogether with a password
file that chroots them to a different file system so it can be
replicated at a volume level without rsync.  Damned legacy stuff!
-                       When in doubt, mumble.                       -