Question

brad.mugleston at comcast.net brad.mugleston at comcast.net
Sun Aug 8 00:11:44 UTC 2004

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:

> No, running it as root is fine. This gives you the capability of running
> any and all fetches from one location and one daemon with one timer.
> /root/.fetchmailrc needs to be configured and look something like:
>
> # Configuration created Sat Jan 19 by KLP
> set logfile "/var/log/fetchmail"
> set postmaster "postmaster"
> set bouncemail
> set properties ""
> set daemon 120
> poll remote_mail_server.com and options no dns
>        user 'your_remote_user_name' there with password 'remote_pw' is
> 'local_user' here options fetchall
>     smtphost  your_mail_server_domain.com
>

> >> Reading what others posted about fetchmail I though I would
> >> change my setup and run in rc.local using the command "fetchmail
> >> -v -v -l0 -d900" but it doesn't seem to want to start there.
> >
> > Don't use "-v"s when running as a daemon--daemons don't have a stdout.
> >
> >> Where do you put your fetchmail command to get it running on
> >> boot?
> >
> > You could put it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local but you'd need to prefix it
> > as
> >
> > 	su -c "fetchmail -d 900" normalusername
>
> I just put the line:
>
> /usr/bin/fetchmail
>
> in /etc/rc.d/rc.local and it comes up on boot and with the
> /root/.fetchmailrc file (permissiona: 710) as above (with other fetch
> sites removed for brevity), it's very nice and hasn't fallen down for
> several years.
>
> Karl

Thank you, I've set it up to run under /etc/rc.d/rc.local but
when the computer boots I get the error message "no mailserver
has been specified"  Is fetchmail still running (how can I tell)?
Is it getting  this message as the machine isn't fully booted up
yet and can't see /root/.fetchmailrc yet or what?

Thanks again,

Brad