DHCP client assigns an invalid hostname (RH9)

Aubrey Barnard aubreys_key at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 9 00:25:07 UTC 2004

To the kind people who may answer my question:

My problem is that I have been assigned an invalid hostname on my RH9
system.

I was asked to create a config for dhclient. This change has not remedied
the problem.

I looked at my system to find what dhclient files there were, and where
the config was supposed to be:

# find / -name '*dhclient*'
/var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth0.leases
/var/run/dhclient-eth0.pid
/usr/share/doc/dhclient-3.0pl1
/usr/share/doc/dhclient-3.0pl1/dhclient.conf.sample
/usr/share/man/man5/dhclient.conf.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man5/dhclient.leases.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/dhclient-script.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/dhclient.8.gz
/usr/share/man/fr/man5/dhclient.conf.5.gz
/usr/share/man/fr/man5/dhclient.leases.5.gz
/usr/share/man/fr/man8/dhclient-script.8.gz
/usr/share/man/fr/man8/dhclient.8.gz
/usr/share/man/ja/man5/dhclient.conf.5.gz
/usr/share/man/ja/man5/dhclient.leases.5.gz
/usr/share/man/ja/man8/dhclient-script.8.gz
/usr/share/man/ja/man8/dhclient.8.gz
/sbin/dhclient-script
/sbin/dhclient

# man dhclient | tail -n 32
FILES
       /sbin/dhclient-script,
/etc/dhclient.conf,
       /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.leases,
/var/run/dhclient.pid,
       /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.leases~.

SEE ALSO
       dhcpd(8),    dhcrelay(8),    dhclient-script   (8),
dhclient.conf(5),
       dhclient.leases(5).

AUTHOR
       dhclient(8) has been written for the Internet  Software  Consortium
 by
       Ted  Lemon  in cooperation with Vixie Enterprises.  To learn more
about
       the Internet Software Consortium, see http://www.isc.org To learn
more
       about Vixie Enterprises, see http://www.vix.com.

       This client was substantially modified and enhanced by Elliot Poger
for
       use on Linux while he was working on the MosquitoNet project  at
Stan-
       ford.

       The  current  version owes much to Elliot�s Linux
enhancements, but was
       substantially reorganized and partially rewritten by Ted Lemon so
as to
       use the same networking framework that the Internet Software
Consortium
       DHCP server uses.   Much system-specific configuration code  was
moved
       into  a  shell  script so that as support for more operating
systems is
       added, it will not be necessary to port  and  maintain
system-specific
       configuration  code  to  these  operating  systems - instead, the
shell
       script can invoke the native tools to accomplish the same purpose.

dhclient(8)

So, you can see that on my system that dhclient expects the config to be
in /etc/, the file I said before that doesn't exist (and as you can see
above, no config exists). I created a config file (as I had tried before),
with the contents exactly as you specified, and restarted my network with
'# /etc/init.d/network restart'. This resulted in no change in the dhcp
leases. I tried the same thing with 'host-name' under 'required' in the
config, again restarting the network. There were no changes.

Now the questions:
Would I have to do more that restart the network to have the changes take
effect?
I have a feeling this is an issue with the Charter network setup, but I
would like somebody to back up this opinion before I contact Charter. That
is, I would like some evidence that they are in error. Maybe what I have
is good enough, but I am not sure.
What advantage would I have to always having my hostname be 'localhost' as
you suggested?

Also, I said before that this hostname thing caused no significant
problems. I have now found that 'sendmail' does not work, and that counts
as a significant problem for me.

I apologize for not responding sooner.

Sincerely,
     Aubrey Barnard