Are the following open ports a danger?

Chris Hewitt rhil at manordata.uklinux.net
Tue Aug 10 23:07:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 08:38, Ted Potter wrote:
> funny with his ip address how can he get to the internet ?
> and it looks like he is running nmap from the same machine.
>
> I would guess he is behind a nat router that includes a firewall.
>
> Try running the scan at http://www.grc.com  and see what ip address they
> report you using. Bet it is not 192.168.1.1

Graeme,

Yes, it depends where you want to look at your computer from. Whilst
"nmap localhost" or "nmap 127.0.0.1" looks from inside your firewall,
"nmap <your hostname>" should look from outside your firewall. As Ted
says, if you want to look from even further outside, say from outside a
DSL router, then you cannot do it from your computer and you need to
either use the website mentioned or a different internet connection
(e.g. get a friend to do it).

When you used the firewall GUI, you did not check under "trusted
devices" the ethernet port going to your modem/router, did you?

HTH

Chris