Cannot open shared object file errors preventing boot up

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Wed Aug 11 04:56:04 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 06:11, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Bob McClure Jr wrote:

> >>Hi Rick, thanks. re-installed all the xorg-X11* rpms on the 4 FC2 CDs.
> >>This had an impact in that 'startx' tries to do things now but
> >>eventually bombs out on the 'unix/7100' (or something) font path and
> >>then 'cannot load 'fixed' fonts' I've googled around but cannot find any
> >>answers yet.
> >>
> >>Have you any further ideas on what may be happening now and how I can
> >>work out just where this font path refers to?
> >>
> >>--
> >>
> >>Kind regards,
> >>Graeme Nichols.
> >

> > It'll be another nine hours before Rick comes on-line, so I'll take a
> > shot at this.  (Don't ask why I'm up this late.)
> >
> > Your symptoms indicate your X font server is not running.  As root,
> > run
> >
> >   service xfs status
> >
> > You should get something like
> >
> > xfs (pid 1032) is running...
> >
> > If not, run
> >
> >   service xfs start
> >
> > That gets it starting right now.  If that comes up ok, run
> >
> >   chkconfig --list xfs
> >
> > You should get something like
> >
> > xfs             0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> >
> > If not, run
> >
> >   chkconfig xfs on
> >
> > That makes it come on next time you boot.  If it won't come up and
> > stay up, look in /var/log/messages for clues.
>
> That's exactly right.  xfs must be running.  Many people turn it off
> thinking it's a security risk, but it's not as it only runs on Unix
> sockets.

Hello Rick, please see my reply to Bob. X started up OK today but there
is still the original problem similar to this one: 'error while loading
shared libraries: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory'. Any clues? Doesn't appear to be a permission
problem, but what the problem is I have no idea. Sound familiar :-)

Kind regards, Graeme Nichols.
Come live with me and be my love, And we will some new pleasures prove
Of golden sands and crystal brooks With silken lines, and silver hooks.
There's nothing that I wouldn't do If you would be my POSSLQ. You live
with me, and I with you, And you will be my POSSLQ. I'll be your friend
and so much more; That's what a POSSLQ is for. And everything we will
confess; Yes, even to the IRS. Some day on what we both may earn,
Perhaps we'll file a joint return. You'll share my pad, my taxes, joint;
You'll share my life - up to a point! And that you'll be so glad to do,
Because you'll be my POSSLQ.