Are the following open ports a danger?

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Sun Aug 15 05:10:14 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 09:07, Chris Hewitt wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 08:38, Ted Potter wrote:
> > funny with his ip address how can he get to the internet ?
> > and it looks like he is running nmap from the same machine.
> >
> > I would guess he is behind a nat router that includes a firewall.
> >
> > Try running the scan at http://www.grc.com  and see what ip address they
> > report you using. Bet it is not 192.168.1.1
> >

> Graeme,
>
> Yes, it depends where you want to look at your computer from. Whilst
> "nmap localhost" or "nmap 127.0.0.1" looks from inside your firewall,
> "nmap <your hostname>" should look from outside your firewall. As Ted
> says, if you want to look from even further outside, say from outside a
> DSL router, then you cannot do it from your computer and you need to
> either use the website mentioned or a different internet connection
> (e.g. get a friend to do it).
>
> When you used the firewall GUI, you did not check under "trusted
> devices" the ethernet port going to your modem/router, did you?

No.

> HTH
>
> Chris

Hi Chris, My IP addresses are private and I am connected to the internet
via an ADSL modem/router and, yes, I ran nmap from my local machine. The
firewall in the modem/router is set to disallow ALL requests from the
internet so I thought I was safe from hackers. I used the graphical tool
for setting up the machine's firewall using High security and only
allowing ssh acess, so I assumed that all ports except those necessary
for email and web browsing were closed. The ip address for my internet
connection is dynamically assigned by my ISP so changes each time I
power on the machine.

I ran the tests from the web site provided by Ted and my machine passed
the test OK. Some ports were in stealth mode and all the others were
closed. Nothing was set by my machine, so, hopefully, I'm safe.

Thanks to both you and Ted.

Kind regards, Graeme Nichols.
"I DO want your money, because god wants your money!" -- The Reverend
Jimmy, from _Repo_Man_