SCSI Tape Drive - LUN Support

Kenneth Goodwin kgoodwin at datamarktech.com
Thu Aug 26 19:46:41 UTC 2004

Of
>  Rick Stevens
>  Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 12:12 PM
>  To: ddelao at oucpm.org; Getting started with Red Hat Linux
>  Subject: Re: SCSI Tape Drive - LUN Support
>

>  Darryl W. DeLao wrote:
>  > Ya, issuing a modprobe aic7xxx works fine.  What I am
>  trying to figure out
>  > is how to have the CD-ROM and the DLT load at boot and
be
>  working.  After
>  > boot, I issue the modprobe command and it disables my
>  cd-rom, but the DLT
>  > works fine.
>
>  Please bottom-post in the future, Darryl (reply AFTER
what you're
>  replying to).
>
>  modprobing the aic7xxx should NOT disable your CD-ROM,
however it may
>  become a different device name (such as /dev/scd1 rather
than
>  /dev/scd0).
>  ---------------------------------------------------------
----
>  ---------
>  - Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer
>  rstevens at vitalstream.com -

Rick, dont understand, why would it change his device names?

He has only one cdrom, it should stay at scd0
and a new specific device name for the tape drive should be
created if need be.
/dev/rmt.... or whatever they are using for DLT's. I dont
have any here.
These are all different devices on different scsi
controllers in the box.

I sent him instructions on how to produce a clean "from a
fresh boot" messages
file that he can post to the list
the answer is in there somewhere. It's something not
obvious.