Changing SCSI Controllers - VFS errors

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Aug 27 16:08:35 UTC 2004

Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> Ok, I went from a Compaq 3200 Array controller the system was built with
> to a 5300 controller.
>
> The drivers that are used are different, no big, stuck the 5300 WITH the
> 3200 so it would boot and kudzu saw it, I told it to install, and all
> seemed good.
>
> The device paths changed, but I think I fixed that.  What don't think is
> happening is the 5300 drivers are loading at boot so the system CAN get
> to the drivers.
>
> Will I need to rebuild a initrd image in order to boot?  If so, are
> there any special steps I need to take?

The easiest thing is to remove the 5300 and leave the 3200 in it.  Then:

   1.  Boot off the CD in rescue mode
   2.  "chroot /mnt/sysimage"
   3.  Edit /etc/modules.conf (or /etc/modprobe.conf on FC2)
   4.  Change the "alias scsi_hostadapter" line to use the 3200 driver
   5.  "cd /boot"
   6.  Make a new initrd image.  Use the "-f -v" options to make sure
       the right drivers are loaded.
   7.  If using lilo, rerun "/sbin/lilo"
   8.  "exit" twice (one to get out of the chroot, one to reboot)

Voila!
-   UNIX is actually quite user friendly.  The problem is that it's  -
-              just very picky of who its friends are!               -