up2date

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Aug 30 17:22:57 UTC 2004

Christiaan Rensink wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Being very new to Linux, I am not quite sure how to interpret this
> result (Enterprise 2.1 AS), nor what I can do to correct it.
>

> [root at localhost tmp]# up2date -u
>
> Traceback (innermost last):
>
>   File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line 839, in ?
>
>     main()
>
>   File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line 627, in main
>
>     pkgNames, fullUpdate, dryRun = dry_run))
>
>   File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line 782, in batchRun
>
>     batch.run()
>
>   File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/up2dateBatch.py", line 57, in run
>
>     self.__findPackagesToUpdate()
>
>   File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/up2dateBatch.py", line 89, in
> __findPackagesToUpdate
>
>     plist.run()
>
>   File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/packageList.py", line 85, in run
>
>     self.addObsoletePackages(obsList)
>
>   File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/packageList.py", line 111, in
> addObsoletePackages
>
>     if len(obsoletePackages) == 0:
>
> TypeError: len() of unsized object

By default, up2date wants to run in GUI (X-Windows) mode.  If you want
to run it in text (non-GUI) mode, try "up2date -nox -u" and see if that
works.

90% of python errors are caused by not running in GUI mode.
-               The Theory of Rapitivity: E=MC Hammer                -
-                                  -- Glenn Marcus (via TopFive.com) -