Q: about reformat disk where Linux and Window coexist

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 31 22:55:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 03:40:33PM -0400, Dabin Wang wrote:
> All fdisk infor from DOS are those that were sent before. Partition
> Magic has more infor. After I reinstalled Linux, it looks like the
> following:
>
> local Disk (C:)    FAT32    6722     6644    78  Active   Primary
> /boot(*.)            Linux Ext2 23    3    20    None   Primary
> (*.)                     Extended   2980   2980   none   Primary
> /(*.)                     Linux Ext2   2910   757   2152   None Logical
> SWAPSPACE   Linux Swap 70    0.0    70    None    Logical
>

> Dave

I'm going to guess at column headings here and attempt to reformat
the listing.

 Assigned to       FSType       End     Start Cylinders  Act    PartType
> local Disk (C:)  FAT32       6722     6644       78  Active   Primary
> /boot(*.)        Linux Ext2    23        3       20    None   Primary
> (*.)             Extended    2980     2980       ??    none   Primary
> /(*.)            Linux Ext2  2910      757     2152    None   Logical
> SWAPSPACE        Linux Swap    70      0.0       70    None   Logical

I'd certainly rather have some partition numbers, and I don't
understand the data I've labeled "End", "Start", and "Cylinders",
because it looks like large parts of the disk are unused.  I guess my
labels are wrong, but that's the best I can make of it.

Meanwhile, you've reinstalled Linux.

- Does it boot?

- Does it work?

- Do you still want to punt it or do you want it to work?

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Grace happens.