FC2 - Samba setup

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Dec 10 02:06:26 UTC 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 02:03:42 +0200, Kostas Sfakiotakis
> <kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr> wrote:
>
>>Greetings Mark ,
>
> <SNIP>
>
>>[root at Magellan root]# rpm -qa | grep samba*
>>samba-client-3.0.5-2.FC1.1
>>redhat-config-samba-1.1.4-1
>>samba-3.0.5-2.FC1.1
>>samba-common-3.0.5-2.FC1.1
>>samba-swat-3.0.5-2.FC1.1
>

> Using yum I got most of it but I cannot find redhat-config-samba.
>
> [root at Godzilla root]# rpm -qa | grep samba*
> samba-client-3.0.9-1.fc2
> samba-common-3.0.9-1.fc2
> samba-3.0.9-1.fc2
> samba-swat-3.0.9-1.fc2
> [root at Godzilla root]#

The equivalent in FC2 is "system-config-samba".  In fact, the latest RPM
is "system-config-samba-1.2.22-0.fc2.1.noarch.rpm".  A simple "yum
install system-config-samba" should grab it for you if you don't have it
installed yet.  The path to the executable is
"/usr/bin/system-config-samba".

To explain, the names of the python setup stuff changed.  What was
"redhat-config-*" in RH9/FC1 became "system-config-*" in FC2/FC3.  If
you were used to, say, "redhat-config-network" in RH9/FC1, then you'd
use "system-config-network" in FC2/FC3.  Subtle and confusing, eh?  It's
in the release notes for FC2 if you wish to check.

>>Mark ( The problem is that Rick Stevens was my original Master
>>and i can't really replicate him ) , basically all you need to do is
>>launch SWAT .
>>In order to achieve this just check your  /etc/services
>>file for  a line like the one bellow :
>>
>>swat            901/tcp                         # Samba Web
>>Administration Tool
>>
>>Then in /etc/xinetd.d/swat  , just make sure that there is a line that
>>says
>>
>>disable =  no .

Actually, to enable a listener in xinetd you can have EITHER of these
two lines in the file:

	disable = no
	enable = yes

Conversely, to disable you can use either of THESE two lines:

	disable = yes
	enable = no

Remember, only use ONE of the lines, not both.  Don't you love options?
Personally, I prefer the "enable=" form...but that's just me.

>>Then after your restart xinetd , all you have to do is
>>
>>#service swat start.

Actually, no.  After editing the file, you must restart xinetd or send
it a SIGHUP.  Any one of these three commands will work:

	killall -HUP xinetd
	/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart
	service xinetd restart

Then point your browser at http://localhost:901 and join the swat fun!
There's lots of on-line help in swat, so don't worry too much.

> Everything seemed fine up to this point but the 'service ' wouldn't
> start. None the less Swat is available through my browser and
> serviceconf says it's running so this much seems OK.

You have to restart xinetd as I've shown above.  xinetd only reads
its config files when it receives a SIGHUP or when it's restarted.
The first command above sends it a SIGHUP.  The next two stop and
restart it.  Your choice as to which is easier for you (I use the
"killall" because I'm a lean, mean, killin' machine!  Heheheheh!)
-     Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.      -