Fedora Core3: How to make Module-Disk for Installation, Problems with megaraid

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Dec 14 17:42:46 UTC 2004

Andreas Tolle wrote:
> Am Mo, 2004-12-13 um 23.07 schrieb Rick Stevens:
>
>>Andreas Tolle wrote:
>>
>>>Hallo,
>>>
>>>I have an HP LC2000 machine with an HP-NetRAID 2M controller and 5 disks
>>>in raid 5. He runs with Suse 9.1 and the 2.6.5 kernel very well using
>>>the megaraid (old) module.
>>>Now I want to setup the Server with the Fedora Core3.
>>>At startup, he loads the megaraid.mbox modul, but no harddisks are
>>>found. Also when I add "linux acpi=off apm=off" (without quotes) in the
>>>startup-screen.
>>>Now I want to add the megaraid.ko module from Suse via module-disk
>>>during the Installation manually, but I don't know, whitch format is
>>>needed.
>>>Or is there a chance to get the inbuild driver megaraid.mbox for
>>>running well?
>>
>>I think the FC3 megaraid driver works well, but I can't tell you for
>>certain.  Keep in mind that drivers such as that one are built against
>>the kernel and use versioning so the megaraid driver built for the
>>2.6.5 kernel works ONLY with the 2.6.5 kernel.  The odds are that it
>>won't work with the kernel installed with FC3 (2.6.9-1.667) even if you
>>did make a driver disk for it.
>>- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>

> I thought also, that the megaraid driver is supported in fc3, but
> definite no in my case with my hp netraid. I have tested to install fc2
> last evening, this runs well with the buildin megaraid driver.
> You make mention of building a driver disk. Do you know, where I can
> find any documentation about this?

There are two megaraid drivers in FC3...megaraid_mbox and megaraid_mm.
The "_mm" is the management module, the "_mbox" is the actual driver.

Looking at the source code, the HP NetRAID isn't listed as supported.
The Dell "PERC", LSI Logic "MegaRAID", the Intel RAID SRxxx, FSC
and Acer are listed.

The nearest driver I can see is the aacraid driver, and the source only
shows the NetRAID 4M as being supported.

You probably should address this question to the fedora-users mailing
list (fedora-users at redhat.com).

As far as building a driver disk, it's not trivial and if you're not
experienced in it, I wouldn't recommend trying.
-      A day for firm decisions!!!   Well, then again, maybe not!    -