Grub vs lilo

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Wed Dec 15 23:34:52 UTC 2004

Greetings Mark ,

Mark McCulligh wrote:
> I am not sure if it is still true but grub does not work right with
> Software Raid.  If you are using Software Raid you have to use lilo. If
> I remember right grub will only boot from the primary drive so if the
> primary drive is the one that crashed you cannot boot from the secondary
> drive. Were lilo can boot from either.

On the other  hand in order to use lilo you have to respect the 1024
cylinder
barrier while with grub you don't have to . I have used both grub and
lilo but
i am far from saying that i know every and each detail of them . Both of
them
have served me well .  In fact whenever i needed it anaconda did the whole
work for me . Both of the boot loaders have their advantages and
disadvantages .

  As to what Waldher  Travis originally asked , i would answer that
neither of them
is better than the other . In fact i would reject the "better " thing .
The only question
that exists is what serves you well enough for the situation that  you
encounter .

Kind Regards,
    Kostas