Tape Drive

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Fri Dec 24 23:39:45 UTC 2004

> Thanks, so the tape drive is /dev/st0?  Searching old emails I
> found a command "mt -f /dev/st0 status" but it doesn't do what it
> was suppose todo so if it's not st0 then how do I find out where
> it is?

It's probably st0. It might be sct, but I only see st0, etc. in /dev of my
RH9 system. On some SVR4 Unixes, the drive names are so convoluted it's
almost impossible to figure out. One sure method I've used to find a
device name is to unplug it, reboot and see what's missing from /dev or
what comes back on reboot after plugging it back in. Yes, I'm a bit
anal...

Of course, the easier way is to insert a tape, then do:

find /boot -print |cpio -ovcdumB > /dev/st0

and see if the light on the tape drive flashes, flickers or whatever it does.

Karl