Launcher

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Dec 28 17:19:15 UTC 2004

brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> How does one set up a new launcher so that it ask's for ROOT's
> password first?  I want to su to root before I run a program and
> can't figure it out.

It's a bit convoluted.  First, you must create a file with the same
name as the application you want in /etc/security/console.apps.  In it,
you should have lines similar to:

	USER=root
	PROGRAM=/path/to/program/to/run
	SESSION=true

So, for a program called "fnork" in /usr/local/bin, create an
/etc/security/console.apps/fnork file and have it contain:

	USER=root
	PROGRAM=/usr/local/bin/fnork
	SESSION=true

Next, you must enter create another file in /etc/pam.d that has the
same name (in this case, /etc/pam.d/fnork) that contains the PAM
authentication information.  For example:

	#%PAM-1.0
	auth       sufficient   pam_rootok.so
	auth       required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
	session    required     pam_permit.so
	session    optional     pam_xauth.so
	account    required     pam_permit.so

Then you can create your launcher using the GUI stuff.
-  Memory is the second thing to go, but I can't remember the first! -