Fedora Core 3 & Dell 4700

mylar micros50 at computer.net
Wed Dec 29 03:11:44 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 15:44, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 03:25:25PM -0500, mylar wrote:

> > > Sorry to ask the obvious, but we have to check these things.  Did you
> > > bring up a mixer (say, xmixer) and verify the levels were up?  By
> > > default, they are all the way down.
> > >

> > I was unable to bring up a mixer. If I remember correctly I got an error
> > stating something to the effect " no mixer (device) available". Might I
> > have overloooked something?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Mylar
>
> No, I think I overlooked something.  You can use alsamixer, a
> Curses-based TUI or amixer, its command-line brother.  There are other
> ALSA-specific tools like aplay and arecord.  xmixer relies on the old
> /dev/* devices that were provided by the OSS sound stuff.  If you want
> to use your old OSS tools, add these lines to your /etc/modprobe.conf:
>
> # These are for ALSA OSS emulation.
> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
>
> Just between you and me, I'm not nuts about this rocky transition from
> OSS to ALSA.
>
> Cheers,

Thanks, I'll have a go at it and see what happens. However, I won't have
access to that machine till tomorrow or the next day. I'll try and let
you know if it works out. Thanks for the help.

Oh, yes, and indeed I agree about the OSS -> ALSA being a bit of a
headache. ALSA does seem quite promising though.

Mylar