R:Re: vncserver startup at boot

Stewart Walker swalker at caspercollege.edu
Sat Feb 21 01:20:22 UTC 2004

Stewart Walker wrote:
> if I run vncserver as root.. viewer works fine. If I run it as a service
> viewer responds with failed to connect to server.
> I think its due to not finding the files vncserver creates in the
> /root/.vnc directory.
>
> How do I fix this?

>>Er, how do you mean "run it as a service"?

Its selected in the Service configuration or [@>]service vncserver start.
which displays OK but no client connection are possible.

if I do [@>]vncserver as root its does it thing and clients can connect.

What file are the below mentioned options set in?
Took a look at /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd and didn't find any thing for Xvnc.
nothing in /etc/rc.d/init.d/vncserver.

Where does the displaynumber stuff get set as ":0" is the console.

Thanks

>>If you simply run Xvnc, it
>>should create the necessary stuff and detatch.  You should then be able
>>to get at it from any client if your firewall allows it.

>>If you want to run Xvnc from xinetd, make sure you specify the "-inetd"
>>option in the "serverargs =" bit.

>>Also, make sure you use the ":displaynumber" stuff on the host name if
>the display is anything but ":0" or it surely won't work.
>>- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>>- VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
>>-            "You think that's tough?  Try herding cats!"            -

                 \\|//
              -(@ @)-

Stewart Walker
swalker at caspercollege.edu