thanks!!!

Chris Hewitt g0pae at manordat.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 22 19:29:43 UTC 2004

Dany Gates wrote:

> thank you very much for your reply. Anyways i would like to tell u
> something.

You are welcome.

> Just some more trouble for u. Now that i can use linux just tell me
> how can i get connected to net. I have configured my modem connection
> and everything BUT WHERE IS THE "CONNECT" BUTTON( i am from windows
> background and new to linux). From where i am supposed to get
> connected to net??? and there is no documentation for this!!

There is a lot of documentation for linux, it may just be a case of
where to look. For your specific question on connecting to the internet
you can look at the relevant section of the manual at
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/getting-started-guide/ch-ppp.html
but basically there is a nice graphical interface *Main Menu* => *System
Tools* => * Internet Configuration Wizard*

> And other problem is that isn't there any support for mp3 or mpeg
> video files in linux, none of them can be played on linux!!

I don't know about mpeg but mp3 is patented and there is a royalty
payable, so as it is not free it cannot be supplied with free linux
distributions. There are other formats which are free e.g  ogg vobis. If
you really need mp3 then you can add it in yourself. The add-in for the
xmms player is at http://shrike.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=1547

When you have quetions a good place to start looking for answers is the
documents about this list that I referred to you, but also
www.google.com "Google is your friend". Another good resource is the
Linux Documentation Project http://www.tldp.org/ I'm sure others on this
list can suggest other good places too.

Hope this helps