NEED SOME HELP ABT REDHAT INSTALLATION!!!

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Feb 23 17:45:22 UTC 2004

Dany Gates wrote:
> Hi, I am new to Red Hat and tried to install Red hat linux 9.0 on my AMD
> Athlon XP Machine. Everything went ok I mean installation went fine , it
> asked me to reboot the machine and so I did the same. After selecting to
> load RED hat OS from GRUB menu everything was going right but during
> booting it stoped after displaying message
> Active swap partition             OK
> Finding module dependencies …(nothing just hangs here…..)

That problem is most likely caused by one of two things: either a weird
APIC or a problem with the APM or ACPI (power management) system.  When
next you boot, try modifying the boot command line.  Use the arrows to
select the desired kernel to boot, then hit "e" to edit the command.

In the next screen, scroll down to the "kernel" line and hit "e" again
to edit that line.  In the next screen, scroll to the end of the line
and add one of the following

	noapic
	noacpi
	noapmd

to the end of the line.  Note that you MUST put a space between the end
of the line and one of those words above.  After editing, your line
may read something like "...hdc=ide-scsi noapic".  When you're done
with that, hit "ENTER" to save your change and then "b" to boot this
kernel.

If the system still won't come up, try one of the other words.  It may
take a combination of two or all three to make it come up.  If you must
use multiple words, separate them with a space:

	...hdc=ide-scsi noapic noapmd

If the system comes up OK, then edit the /boot/grub/grub.conf file and
add whichever word helped out to the end of the "kernel" line in that
file and save the modified file.

By the way, the use of CAPITAL LETTERS is reserved here for emphasis
and for shouting at appropriate times.  We understand frustration but
shouting at us, especially in your very first posting, is not making a
very good impression.
-       "Yeah, but you're taking the universe out of context."       -