AS3.0 - bcm5700 vs tg3 drivers

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Feb 24 21:50:40 UTC 2004

Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> [...]

Did you download the source and build it yourself?  Unless you're using
the stock kernel, no it won't work (all of the modules are built with
"modversion" enabled).

To build them, you must:

1. Download and install the kernel source

2. Change directory to the kernel source:

	cd /usr/src/linux-2.4

3. Edit the Makefile's "EXTRAVERSION=" definition to match your
kernel's name

4. Copy the config file from /boot to .config in the kernel source dir:

	[root at host linux-2.4]# cp /boot/config-kernelversion .config

5. Configure the kernel source:

	[root at host linux-2.4]# make oldconfig;make dep

6. Download the Broadcom source to a scratch directory and untar it.

7. Build the driver source based on their instructions.

8. Test the driver by doing "insmod bcm5700.o"

9. If it loads correctly, copy the "bcm5700.o" file to the appropriate
spot in /lib (usually /lib/modules/kernelversion/kernel/drivers/addon).

10. Finally, do a "depmod -a" to make sure the dependencies are
fulfilled.

Voila!  The next boot should successfully load bcm5700, provided you
have an "alias eth0 bcm5700" in your /etc/modules.conf file.

At least, that's how I do it.  Does that help?

The latest bcm5700 code I have is V7.1.9, but I haven't looked at their
site for a month or more, so I'm sure I'm out of date.  The build
procedure should be the same.

BTW, building kernels from source RPM or tarball is documented at:

	http://www.rhil.net/docs/kernelbuild.html
-            I'm afraid my karma just ran over your dogma            -