installing Qmail on RedHat 9

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Feb 25 00:14:59 UTC 2004

John Moracho wrote:
> I would also like to ask if there is an document from Redhat on removing
> sendmail on Redhat 9. I cant seem to find one.  I do not want to deal
> with RPM's as I have been also running into problems with them as well.
> Is it possible to remove services or daemons without running rpm commands?

Well, yes.  You can delete sendmail by doing "rpm -e sendmail", or you
can "/etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail stop", then delete the sendmail binary
and all of the symbolic links for it:

	/usr/sbin/sendmail
	/usr/lib/sendmail
	others (use "find / -name sendmail -print" for a full list)

If you don't "rpm -e sendmail", you'll get nagged for updates if you
use up2date whenever a new version comes out, since the entry for
sendmail will remain in your RPM database.
-     "Daddy, why doesn't this magnet pick up this floppy disk?"     -