RedHat 7.3 Server Install

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 25 03:29:33 UTC 2004

Please beat your mailer about the head and shoulders until it wraps
lines about every 72 chars or so.  I'll reformat this.

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 08:08:12PM -0700, Craig Cameron wrote:
> It's been 3 days since I have downloaded and written the RH 7.3 ISO
> images to disks.  I verified the ISO files with the MD5SUM.  I
> slowed down my cd writer to 2x, and all 3 cd's burned without
> errors.  I wrote a bootup floppy using RAWRITE, and ran MEDIACHECK
> on all 3 disks, and all passed(including today).
>
> I'm tryng to install a server install with the following partitions:
>
> /boot    60MB
> /          3000MB
> swap    128MB
>
> The machine is a pentium 133 with 64MB of Ram, and a Maxtor 10GB
> drive.
>
> Now the problem:  cpio: MD5 sum mismatch
>
> This error occurs at random places in the install(according to the
> install.log), and with different packages on each attempt to
> install.  I actually made it to the 2nd cd on one install.
>
> I have changed the CD ROM(3 times) and I have tried different hard
> drives.
>
> The only thing that I haven't changed is the cd's.  They are
> Memorex, for 1X to 16X.  Like I said, I slowed my cd writer (HP
> 8250i) to 2x when I wrote the disks.
>
> The really confusing thing is it fails on different packages each
> install attempt.  I ran a MEDIACHECK on disk 1 again tonight, and it
> passed.
>
> I'm not using any parameters.  To start the install, I boot up on
> the floppy created earlier, and enter TEXT to start a text
> installation.  I don't install anything but the server
> configuration; no additional packages, because I plan for this to be
> my SAMBA server down the road.  But now, it would be nice to get
> Linux going.
>
> I used Google to search for this error, and it seems to be happening
> to alot of people, but I couldn't find a solution.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

Have a look at

http://www.rhil.net/docs/faq.html#install_dies

The likely fix will be to install to ext2 filesystems instead of the
default ext3.  After the installation, you can convert to ext3.

You may also find you have turn off DMA.  Instructions about that are
in the above site.

Out of curiosity, given the trouble you've gone to, why not get RH 9
or Fedora Core 1?

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Grace happens.