SSL session on Apache

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Feb 25 18:43:04 UTC 2004

John Strunk wrote:
> I recently saw a thread on this list about installing SSL access on
> Apache.  Not sure of all the details but I find myself with a problem
> upgrading a server from rel 8 to rel 9.  The rel 8 system has apache
> running with both non ssl access and ssl access, no problems.  When I
> built a test host with rel 9 and apache using the same httpd.conf and
> ssl.conf files I am unable to start httpd. I get the following error:
>    Starting httpd: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind
> to address 90.0.0.15:443 no listening sockets available, shuting down
>
> Was this covered? If so where can I find the fix?  If not has anyone got
> any ideas on how to remidy the situation?

Uh, it would appear that you have another apache running on port 443.
Do a "ps -ax" and see if there's other httpd processes running.  If so,
odds are that the rh9 install installed the default apache2 server and
your startup scripts are starting it.  I can't recall if it does an
SSL daemon or not.

You can kill those apache2 processes by doing

	/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd stop

Then use "redhat-config-services" to disable Red Hat's apache server.
You need to add your own startup script or modify Red Hat's to run your
server.