ssh on port 21?

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Wed Feb 25 20:53:05 UTC 2004

Rick Stevens wrote:
> Rick Bilonick wrote:
>
>> Rick Stevens wrote:

<SNIP>

> Yes, the ports must match.  If you have the daemon listening on port N,
> you must tell the client to use port N, also.  Otherwise the client will
> try port 22 and since there's nothing listening on port 22, nothing will
> happen.

As Rick said, but additionally, as I indicated last evening, if you are
going from work to your house, and your house has a firewall or router,
then you need to set up port forwarding on your firewall or router to
point the incoming port 21 traffic (if that's what you end up using) to
the specific internal machine you want to talk to at home. You seem to
have understood that in your original question, but I'm not sure any of
us said exactly 'Yes', so I am. ;-)

Good luck,
Mark