Which Java for RH 9

Chris A Czerwinski chrisczerwinski at cogeco.ca
Thu Feb 26 16:54:03 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 09:30, Chuck Slate wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> I might have missed some of the conversation, but it is my understanding
> that with Mozilla 1.x you don't have to jump through those hoops.
>
> All you should have to do is install the JDK (or JRE) and then enable
> Java within Mozilla as follows:
>
> Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced (note: you must highlight Advanced, not
> just expand it).  Then select "Enable Java" and apply the change.

As you explained - I checked it out and
JAVA is Enabled in Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced

I'm following SUN's instructions where I have to manually make the LINK

Java Plug-in Browser Registration Instructions

For documentation on the Java Plug-in product, see:
        http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/plugin/index.html

There are two ways to register the Java Plug-in product with the
Netscape browser. Click on the following buttons to see the instructions
for either manual or automatic (via the ControlPanel) registration. For
Netscape 7, Mozilla, or the SuSE 8.1 or higher version of Mozilla, use
only the manual registration instructions. Note that Mozilla (non-SuSE
version) must be 1.1 or higher.

Please see http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/manual_install_linux.html

and I used the following command as SU

-<snip>----------------------------------------------------------------
3. For Netscape 6/7 and Mozilla browsers, create a symbolic link to the
Plug-in in the Netscape plugins directory.

Create a symbolic link to the Java Plug-in libjavaplugin.so file in the
Netscape 6/7 or Mozilla plugins directory.

        cd <Netscape 6/7 | Mozilla>/plugins
        ln -s <JRE>/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

For the SuSE 8.1 or higher Mozilla browser, replace ns610 with
ns610-gcc32 in the ln command line above.

  Be sure to include the "period" at the end.

which I did. and that's where you came in.

So I guess the question is whether Mozilla created their own version
like you mentioned above? and I don't have to make the manual link?