tripping over Telnet

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 27 17:37:09 UTC 2004

Please configure your mailer to wrap lines every 72 chars or so.  I'll
reformat this.

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 09:13:13AM -0800, Info wrote:
> I just put RedHat 8 on a machine.  I've been trying to telnet to it.
> But it refuses connections.

Good for it.

> I've tried disabling the firewall.
> (Everytime I run the gui, it starts out with the firewall at high
> security.

No, it doesn't.

http://www.rhil.net/docs/faq.html#firewall

> Since box refuses to talk, I suspect that it is the case.)
>
> Anyone got a clue as to where the real enable Telnet switch is hiding?

First, telnet is not just A Bad Idea, it's A Very Bad Idea.  It is a
security hole you can drive a truck through.  Use Secure SHell (SSH)
instead.  See

http://www.rhil.net/docs/security.html

for a complete discussion.

Cheers,