Re: recompiling the kernel!!

I'm agree with Bob, you don't need to recopile your
kernel, but these are your steps...

tar -zxvf kernelXXX.tar.gz (in /usr/src)
make xconfig
select your options in the kernel, save it and:
make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
make
make install

Then you need to copy your new System.map to your
/boot:
cp System.map /boot/System.map-newkernelversion
cp ./arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuzX.Y.ZT
(where X,Y,ZT are the number of your kernel version)
mkinitrd /boot/initrd-X.Y-ZT.img X.Y-ZT

Then you need to create a new line in your
/etc/lilo.conf

image=/boot/vmlinuz (the new one)
        label=linux-new_kernel
        initrd=/boot/initrd-X.Y-ZT.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/hdXY
(where X is your HD and Y your number of partition)
After save /etc/lilo.conf:
/sbin/lilo

Cheers

 --- Bob McClure Jr <robertmcclure earthlink net>
escribió: > Please don't quote irrelevant messages
when posting.

http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-4BP6Q6.html