Network config control by cron

Steve Larsen rolandsdad at opengearbox.com
Fri Jul 2 17:14:48 UTC 2004

At 09:35 AM 7/2/2004 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
>Bob McClure Jr wrote:
>>On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 06:52:48AM -0700, Al Gelders wrote:
>>
>>>Where do I look to find out how to activate and deactivate my ppp
>>>network interface using cron?  These days auto disconnect doesn't work
>>>because my system is getting pinged every few seconds by  hackers (I
>>>presume).
>>>-- al gelders
>>>agelders at lightspeed.net
>>
>>How about blocking pings with your firewall?
>
>That's one option.  To shut it down via cron, add this to root's
>crontab:
>
>         m h * * * /sbin/ifdown ppp0
>
>where "m" = the minute you want it shut down and "h" = the hour you
>want it down.  E.g. to shut it down at 2:30 p.m.
>
>         30 14 * * * /sbin/ifdown ppp0
>- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>- VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
>-           grep me no patterns and I'll tell you no lines           -

Hi Rick,

I have a similar question, couldn't he just disable a portion of icmp?
And if so .. how does that work .. disabling say just ping but leaving
rlogin or rcp functional? Maybe I'm not asking this correctly, he could
just comment out those ports and restart his network services, but is
there a way to just chop out ping or rcp .. etc. ?

Stephen Larsen
rolandsdad at opengearbox.com