external firewire hard drive on RHEL AS 3

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jul 13 16:11:02 UTC 2004

Benjamin Hornberger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am having trouble getting an external firewire hard drive and an
> external firewire DVD writer to work on RHEL AS 3 (academic license). I
> installed the kernel-smp-unsupported package (which at the first time
> messed up my network cards, but at the second time seemed to work). I
> loaded the ieee1394, ohci1394, raw1394 and sbp2 modules, but the latter
> seems to make some problems.
>
> On boot, I get a message like "insmod: a module named sbp2 already
> exist", or something like that. I can't recall the exact message because
> it is not logged in /var/log/boot.log (any hints what is actually logged
> there, why not all the boot messages?)

Just do an "lsmod" to see what's already loaded.  Check your
/etc/modules.conf file and see if there's an alias for that module that
would force it to load.  Some modules will also pull in others that it
needs (e.g. the sound module will pull in snd-core without being asked
to).

> When I run gscanbus, I see both devices (external hard drive and
> external DVD writer). When I do cdrecord -scanbus or more
> /proc/scsi/scsi, they don't show up. It looks like that firewire in
> principle is working, but they are not recognized as SCSI devices.

Then I'd guess the sg module is not seeing the firewire properly.  There
is a rescan SCSI bus script available at

	http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/rescan-scsi-bus.sh

which may help.  May I ask if there was a reason you used the
unsupported kernel?

> Any hints? In general, any hints on how device names / numbers
> (/dev/scd0 etc.) are given when there are removable drives?

If everything else you have is IDE-based, the external hard drive should
show up as /dev/sda.  If you have an IDE CD, the the DVD should show up
as /dev/scd0 or /dev/cdrom1.

> By the way, both devices worked easily on RH 9.

I suspect this is the unsupported kernel's problem.  I don't know what
the differences are between the normal and unsupported kernels as I
don't have any AS/ES/WS/EL licenses.
-        Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.       -