RH8 --> FC2 Upgrade done

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Thu Jul 15 05:19:13 UTC 2004

Hello Folks, thanks to those who gave me some pointers on the above
upgrade. I have now upgraded to FC2 from RH8 and the results are not all
that good. There are some serious problems which I am hoping someone can
help me with.

Apart from bombing out early because a swap partition for a 7.1 install
of RH on hda was found by the installer and deemed to not be initialized
(fixed by running mkswap against the offending partition) everything
appeared to go OK, although it took several hours, due possibly to my
having a 'everything' install of RH8.

When booting after installing it booted the old kernel using the old
lilo.conf, the upgrade hadn't run either lilo or grub against the new
lilo.conf or grub.conf. Easy fixed, now boots fine except it barfs when
trying to initialize eth0.

The errors from dmesg follow:-

8139too: Unknown parameter 'irq'
iptables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter Core Team
8139too: Unknown parameter 'irq'
8139too: Unknown parameter 'irq'
NET: Registered protocol family 10
Disabled privacy extensions on device 0220b720 (lo)
IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver
Divert: Not allocating divert_blk for non ethernet device sit0
Warning: Process 'update' used the obsolete bdflush system call
Fix your init scripts?

Every time I try and start eth0 the line '8139too: Unknown parameter
'irq' is written to dmesg.

Now, the funny thing is if I run the hardware browser my ethernet card
is shown as eth1 (A RealTek), changing everything via network config
applet to eth1 simply gives the same errors in dmesg.

Trying to activate the ethernet card using the network config applet
gives some funny errors as well. When I make any changes and try and
save them I get the following error:-
ERR2 No such file or directory
'//etc/sysconfig/network-scripts//ifcfg-lo.rpmsave'. Trying to activate
it from the same utility results in 'Interface eth0 not found 8139too
device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization' If I
change the config to eth1 I get the same error except it is eth1 it is
complaining about. If i click on the deactivate button I get the
following error:- RPMSAVE: No such file or directory. Dev eth1 has
different MAC address than expected. Ignoring.

When trying to activate eth0(1) a window sometimes pops up with the
following error:- Command failed. /sbin/modprobe 8139too irq 5, OUTPUT:
FATAL: Error inserting 8139too
(/lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.ko). Unknown symbol
in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

There are no files in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ directory, a
good reason why things are cocked up amongst others.

When it comes to the printer, an Epson Stylus Colour 460, using the
printer config, all the settings are as they should be but again I get
an error saying that it cannot write the config to the file. The printer
doesn't work, naturally.

Kooka finds the scanner OK. I can mount my usb connected external HD but
not my usb Zip drive.

Now to my display and mouse, keyboard etc. I cannot find a Xorg.conf
file anywhere. And there is no example file where the man pages say it
should be. Can someone send me an example file please.

Another problem that has arisen is with Pine. It won't start complaining
of not being able to load shared files. Any clues on this one?

All the above problems are connected to an 'upgrade' I guess, but there
seems to me to be some underlying serious problem that I can't put my
finger on. Not being able to save any of the config files is a worry I
would like to get to the bottom of.

I can boot the system OK. I can use an editor, open Evolution etc. but I
am not yet sure that FC2 has anything to offer that RH8 hadn't, except
that it isn't obsolete. A lot of the productivity short-cuts that were
available in RH8 & Gnome appear to have been removed. Still, let's get
the above problems fixed and working properly first before passing
judgment.

If anyone can help I will be very grateful.

--

Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols

But scientists, who ought to know
Assure us that it must be so.
Oh, let us never, never doubt
What nobody is sure about.
		-- Hilaire Belloc

- IMPORTANT.                                                         -
- The contents of this email and any attachments, which may be con-  -
- fidential, are sent for the personal attention of the addressee/s  -
- only. If you receive this email and are not the intended addressee -
- please inform the sender and delete this email immediately. Use,   -
- copying, disclosure or forwarding of the contents of this email    -
- and/or any attachment/s is not authorised.                        -