RH8 --> FC2 Upgrade done

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jul 16 17:19:22 UTC 2004

Graeme Nichols wrote:
> [...]
>>         Monitor    "Monitor0"
>>         DefaultDepth     24
>>         SubSection "Display"
>>                 Viewport   0 0
>>                 Depth     24
>>                 Modes    "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>>         EndSubSection
>>EndSection
>>
>>Section "DRI"
>>         Group        0
>>         Mode         0666
>>EndSection
>>------------------------------ CUT HERE -------------------------------
>>

>>>Another problem that has arisen is with Pine. It won't start complaining
>>>of not being able to load shared files. Any clues on this one?
>>
>>Sure.  FC2 uses gcc 3.3, not gcc 3.2.2.  The library format is a bit
>>different.  Upgrade Pine.
>>

>>>All the above problems are connected to an 'upgrade' I guess, but there
>>>seems to me to be some underlying serious problem that I can't put my
>>>finger on. Not being able to save any of the config files is a worry I
>>>would like to get to the bottom of.
>>>
>>>I can boot the system OK. I can use an editor, open Evolution etc. but I
>>>am not yet sure that FC2 has anything to offer that RH8 hadn't, except
>>>that it isn't obsolete. A lot of the productivity short-cuts that were
>>>available in RH8 & Gnome appear to have been removed. Still, let's get
>>>the above problems fixed and working properly first before passing
>>>judgment.
>>>
>>>If anyone can help I will be very grateful.
>>
>>FC2 is a quantum leap beyond RH8.0 (which was buggy as hell and IMHO
>>should NEVER have been released--witness the number of patches for it).
>>

> There were an enormous number of patches for it I agree, but it was a
> very 'comfortable' release to use and it had some nice touches that made
> it easy to get things done. Its a bit like my old HiLux ute., It'll
> probably rust away from around me before I get a new one its so good.
>

>>You've changed from a 2.4 kernel to a 2.6 kernel (which is a HUGE jump),
>>a new gcc 3.3 compiler, a switch from XFree86 to Xorg and a raft of
>>other changes.  There are going to be both teething problems and
>>learning issues for you.
>>
>>FC2 is really not ready for non-geeks, IMHO.  Many 3rd party drivers
>>for various hardware bits aren't available for 2.6 kernels and the
>>change to Xorg's X implementation isn't the smoothest (works well,
>>though).  The logical jump for non-geeks was to FC1 (still a 2.4
>>kernel), to get used to how the FC stuff is different from RHL.  Once
>>you're comfortable with that and are willing to make the jump to a 2.6
>>kernel, THEN you update to FC2 and expect to learn yet more with the
>>major changes internal to it.
>>
>>You don't even want to know about FC3 (coming soon!)
>

> Hello Rick,
>
> I don't know what I would do without your expertise when I take the leap
> into the unknown. Its people like yourself and the others on this list
> that make the Linux community what it is.

{blush!}  Aw, shucks!  ;-)

>                                           I hope that I can start to
> make a contribution myself.

You will, you will.  Just the simple fact you use Linux helps.  More
users = more solutions.

>                            I understand what you are saying about the
> learning curve, though since yesterday I have managed to get things up
> and running OK. Your advice on removing the irq and CUPS was important
> to me and thanks for the xorg.conf file. The 4 CD set I purchased didn't
> have any documentation with it. With my RH8 CDs I was able to install
> all the docs which was a real help. I will have to see if I can download
> some documentation rpms. Will let you know how it all goes over the next
> couple of weeks.

Glad to help, Graeme.  Most of the should have been installed with the
RPMs (well, the man pages at least).  "Special" docs usually get shoved
into /usr/share/doc.

If you're up on FC2 now, remember to use "yum" to update your system
(yum is the FC replacement for up2date).  The /etc/yum.conf file that
comes with FC only mentions the Red Hat update repository.  It's often
VERY busy, so you may wish to utilize this version of the file to get at
a couple of mirrors:

----------------------------- CUT HERE --------------------------------
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=fedora-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
gpgcheck=1

[base]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-$releasever
# The first line is the primary server, the remainder are mirrors...
baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os
         http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/$releasever/$basearch/os
         http://mirror.web-ster.com/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/os

[updates-released]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
# The first line is the primary server, the remainder are mirrors...
baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch
         http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch
         http://mirror.web-ster.com/fedora/updates/$releasever/$basearch

#[updates-testing]
#name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Unreleased Updates
#baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/testing/fedora-core-$releasever

You can add more mirrors as you wish.  To do a full update:

	# yum -y update

It'll take a bit of time, but it'll update your system fully.  yum is a
"good thing".

The URHILW (http://www.rhil.net) has NTFS modules for FC1 and FC2, too.

> Again, thanks very much.

No problem, Graeme.
-   Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle.  -