NIS tcsh question

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jul 16 18:08:28 UTC 2004

GoijI P wrote:

>>> well, on client there is no local home. (did on client , mv /home
>>> /home.sav).
>>> server home is mounted on client /home (/home->/nfs/home)
>>> according to /etc/fstab file.  ??
>>

>> I don't buy that.  Did you check the "mount" command itself?  Is it
>> really mounted?
>

> yes, indeed.
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/home   /home   nfs  etc...
>
> i made /nfs/home and did the
> mv /home /home.sav
> ls -n /home /nfs/home
> added the
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/home   /home   nfs  etc...
> to /etc/fstab file.
> everything in the remote ./tchsrc works except the lines:
> echo -n "\033]0;${HOST}:$cwd\007"
> alias cd 'chdir \!*; echo -n "\033]0;${HOST}:$cwd\007"'.
>
> these lines modify the terminal title.  like i said, when within
> a telnet login session it works but within nis login it won't. both logins
> show same remote .tcshrc file ("cat .tcshrc").  maybe, i am wrong but
> this is what i see.
> my local passwd file has no such userid.  maybe nsswitch.conf
> related.......???

I don't think so.  If both the telnet and the NIS login have the same
.tcshrc file, then it should work.  If you run the commands at the
command line in NIS mode, does it work?
- Treat each day as if it's your last...a lot of crying and whining  -
-      usually gets you what you want!              -- Sam Sledge    -