Can't format /boot

Ted Potter tpotter at techmarin.com
Wed Jul 21 15:03:34 UTC 2004

Well this is a shot in the dark but:

I was running RH 7x and decided to try out 9. I had been running 7 just
fine on my workstation (a complete clone with parts from all over) and
figured, hey 7 went on just fine so 9 should be breeze.

Ha - I got everything from freezing during the initial loading to "can't
find media" 1/3 in to the install.

So someone said hey, try a different cdrom device, maybe an older one.

so I did. I replaced my 56x with an old 16x cdrom and guess what ? RH9
installed like a champ.

So, for whatever reason when I start getting strange errors during an RH
install I drop back to more basic hardware. Sorry I can't provide more
technical details, but this "trick" did work for me.

PS - after the install I replaced the cdrom and RH9 has never had a
problem with it.

hth

Ted