an error occurred when finding the packages to upgrade

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Jul 21 17:21:49 UTC 2004

Jones, Elton wrote:
> When upgrading from 7.2 to 8.0 I receive the following error message in
> Graphical and text based install:
>

> an error occurred when finding the packages to upgrade
>

> Then the system reeboots.
>

> Although the message come after Boot Loader Configuration
>

> I feel this message is directly related to the section for "Selecting
> packages to upgrade".
>

> As the error appears just before I get to this page
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/install-guide/s1-upgrade-pkgsel.html

This smells of a CDROM DMA issue.  Assuming a standard config with your
CD as the master drive on the secondary controller, you might try the
upgrade again, but make the boot command off the CD:

	linux hdc=nodma

and see if that helps.

[idiotic email disclaimer removed]

(diatribe about the absolute stupidity of email disclaimers kept to
myself at great cost to my ulcers)
-       "Yeah, but you're taking the universe out of context."       -