Please Help!! - "Kernel Panic - Attempted to kill init!"

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jul 23 20:27:46 UTC 2004

Steve Kasian wrote:
> [...]

Still test the memory.  I've seen bad RAM run on Windows a lot, but
flat won't work with Linux.  Weird, but true.  Kernel panics at install
boots are almost always caused by bad RAM or some issue with CPU
overclocking or memory sharing.  If you could try the install using a
serial console and posting the results of the "info at lightning speed",
I may be able to decipher what's happening a bit more.

> I'm almost convinced it's a hardware compatibility related issue - such
> as the processor, motherboard chipset, etc.  I don't find any Soyo
> products listed on the RedHat site under certified compatible hardware,
> but Soyo swears up and down that there's no problem with the
> compatibility of their board with RedHat Linux.  It's quite possible
> they're full of crap in claiming that, however.

We run a number of Soyo Athlon mobos here...sorry, can't recall the
model numbers offhand.  The only things I can recall with them is that
one beastie did require "ide=nodma noapic" to do the install.  Once the
production kernel was up, it could be removed and a subsequent BIOS
upgrade allowed a reinstall without the "ide=nodma".  The "noapic" was
still needed resulting in a very tiny performance reduction.

> I can say that everyone else who's posted about this issue has had an
> AMD motherboard.  It could be the AMD processor, the motherboard and
> chipset, or both.  I just don't know.

I run AMDs almost exclusively myself (three of the four machines at
home are AMDs...one Opteron, a 2000 XP and a 2400XP) and my last laptop
was AMD (new one is a P4).  I prefer AMD over Intel...even the 686
kernels run faster on Athlon than on Intel--the Athlon-optimized kernels
are mondo quick!

> Yes, I manually partitioned the Linux partition (using Partition Magic),
> formatting it with an Ext2 filesystem.  But unfortunately, I'm not even
> getting close to the point where the HDD becomes an issue.
>
> How is Fedora Core 2 as an OS?  Maybe I should try installing that
> instead.

I use both FC1 and FC2.  We have a number of customers on FC1 and my
18-box mail system (3 outgoing SMTP, 2 incoming SMTP, 8 POP, 2 IMAP, 2
Webmail, 2 LDAP and 2 PostgreSQL) doing a total of about 20M
messages/day) are all FC1.  I also have no hesitation in recommending
FC1 for clients with fairly pedestrian hardware.

FC2 works well, but due to the "newness" of the 2.6 kernel you may have
issues finding drivers for weird hardware.  Some applications are also
not available as binary RPMs for it.  If you're willing to go the extra
bit by rebuilding the apps from tarballs and such, FC2 is a good bet.

Be aware that there are lots of differences between the 2.4 kernels
that you're familiar with and the 2.6 kernel.  Modules are different,
/etc/modules.conf becomes /etc/modprobe.conf, the kernel build procedure
is different (easier, but different), other things.  Also FC2 doesn't
replaces the old XFree86 X-Window system with the XOrg implementation.
There are other things, but you'll get the hang of them.
-           grep me no patterns and I'll tell you no lines           -