Please Help!! - "Kernel Panic - Attempted to kill init!"

Chris Hewitt g0pae at manordat.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 24 12:25:07 UTC 2004

Rick Stevens wrote:

> Steve Kasian wrote:
>

>> As far as the components are concerned, everything is working
>> properly. I run Win98SE and WinXP on the same machine (multiple HDDs)
>> and it's the
>> smoothest running and most flawless box I've ever used. That's one
>> reason why I'm so blown away by this.
>

> Still test the memory.  I've seen bad RAM run on Windows a lot, but
> flat won't work with Linux.  Weird, but true.  Kernel panics at install

Steve,

I had a Athlon computer I used heavily for a year with Win NT where
linux simply would not load. I did not believe the RAM theory either.
Finally (in desperation) I ran memtest86, removed the bad RAM and linux
has run flawlessly since. That was a year wasted.

It may not be your problem, but I agree it is certainly worth trying
given the symptoms you have told us.

HTH
Chris