Can't install RH Enterprise 3 desktop; white screen lockup

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Jul 28 22:36:38 UTC 2004

jlopes151 at comcast.net wrote:
> I spent three weeks several days of those three weeks were spent
> overnight (24 hr) attempting to install RH and another Linux brand. I
> found the requirements defined on the RH package to be bogus. I was told
> by RH support that RH has an agressive install and that my PC may not be
> good enough. It was a PIII, 500mhx with 700+k of ram and 80gig drive.
> What happend with me the install would fail on random packages.

That's a classic example of the ext3 filesystem bug with some hardware
platforms.  I'll bet that if you had started the installation over again
and used ext2 filesystems when you partitioned the hard drive, it
would've worked.  After the system had installed and was running, you
could convert the ext2 filesystems to ext3.  See:

	http://www.rhil.net/docs/ext2-to-ext3.html

for details.

>                                                                   I tried
> every thing and could not get a clean install. I finally bought a new P4
> 3.0ghz with 1meg ram and 80gig drive the install took less than 10min to
> do a full install.
>
> Its running no problems with the new machine.

You didn't ask me!  ;-)  I would've told you.

-              "Swap memory error: You lose your mind"               -