question : slow response

GoijI P goijiud at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 30 15:18:06 UTC 2004

>>>Memory is often allocated at the beginning.  Memory won't be "free"
>>>unless memory which was committed to a program is actually needed
>>>(this prevents the machine from swapping too often).
>>>
>>>If you think you're swapping, look a the "used" and "free" bits for
>>>the "swap" (fourth line) of the "free" output.  You can also "vmstat 5"
>>>to watch the system activity.  Look at the "si" (swap in) and "so" (swap
>>>out) columns to see if the system is really swapping.  If you see that
>>>those numbers are greater than zero more often than not, then the system
>>>is swapping and you have a bit more investigation to do.  Hit CTRL-C to
>>>terminate the vmstat program.
>>>
>>>Make sure you look at the "top" report WHEN YOUR SYSTEM IS SLOW to see
>>>what's going on.  Don't just look at the "% CPU" column, also look at
>>>the "SIZE" and "RSS" columns.
>>>
>>>The biggest "SIZE" is the process that's using the most memory, the
>>>biggest "RSS" is the process that has the largest program code size.  If
>>>you see a process where the "SIZE" is growing but the "RSS" is more or
>>>less the same, that's a potential memory leak.  Unless you've written
>>>your own code and haven't taken care to free allocated memory or haven't
>>>kept your machine current, the odds of a memory leak are pretty small.
>>

>>right now 0 swap space is used (things are quiet). i have to look at it
>>when more clients run server
>>based apps remotely.  But, one thing i have noiced is that server RAM MB
>>size is 4 times higher than swap partition size, 1GB<->256MB.
>
>Well that's upside down.  The rule of thumb is to have swap 2x RAM size.
>In your case, 2GB.  Be aware that if the system runs out of memory and
>swap, the system will start killing random processes to free up memory.
>
>Try adding more swap.  Find a filesystem with enough free space (let's
>say it's /usr), create a contiguous 2GB file on that filesystem filled
>with zeroes and turn it into a second swap area:
>
>	# dd if=/dev/zero of=/usr/swapfile bs=1M count=2048
>	# mkswap /usr/swapfile
>
>To start using it:
>
>	# swapon /usr/swapfile
>
>and you suddenly will have an additional 2GB of swap.  Note that swap
>files are not quite as fast as swap partitions, but the difference in
>speed is pretty small.  Edit your /etc/fstab file and add a line like:
>
>	/usr/swapfile    swap            swap    defaults        0 0
>
>and it'll get used on the next reboot, too.
>
>OS NOTE: No single swap partition or file may be larger than 2GB, but
>you can have up to 8 swap files or partitions (maximum of 16GB total).

created swap file. ran "vmstat 5". si so were 0 at all times like before.
top did not reveal any
peculiar errors but probbaly need to spend more time there.
meanwhile. probably as my last question on this topic, any other clues
anyone can guess of?.
my NIS server is relatively an old PC. That is one possibility. But, top did
not show much there.
thank you a.
gj