About Acrobat LANG workaround

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Fri Jun 4 04:36:53 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 21:50, Huan Deng wrote:
> hi:
>
>    This morning i installed acrobat 5.8 on redhat 8.0,but when i input acroread ,the graph didn't pop out.And the systerm message is :
>
>    Warning : charset "UTF-8" not supported,using "ISO8859-1"
>    Abort
>
> I have checked the install disk , there is no package named "UTF" or "ISO8859-1".
> What's the matter?

This has probably already been answered to everyone's satisfaction but
perhaps the answer can be put on the FAQ.

Acroread is a shell script and you can enter the workaround near the
beginning of that script as follows:-

[graeme at localhost graeme]$ cat /usr/local/bin/acroread
#!/bin/sh
#

ver=5.0.8
install_dir=/usr/local/Acrobat5/Reader
# Environment workaround
export LANG=C #this is the workaround!!

#
Actual script continues

--

Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols

Public Key available from http://keyserver.kjsl.com:11371/#extract

Halley's Comet: It came, we saw, we drank.

- IMPORTANT.                                                         -
- The contents of this email and any attachments, which may be con-  -
- fidential, are sent for the personal attention of the addressee/s  -
- only. If you receive this email and are not the intended addressee -
- please inform the sender and delete this email immediately. Use,   -
- copying, disclosure or forwarding of the contents of this email    -
- and/or any attachment/s is not authourised.                        -