yum update server + Network question.

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Wed Jun 16 01:54:34 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 02:34, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Graeme Nichols wrote:

> >>Actually, fedoralegacy suggests this yum.conf:
> >>
> >>[base]
> >>name=Red Hat Linux $releasever base
> >>baseurl=http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/os/$basearch
> >>
> >>[updates]
> >>name=Red Hat Linux $releasever updates
> >>baseurl=http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch
> >>

> >>[legacy-utils]
> >>name=Fedora Legacy utilities for Red Hat Linux $releasever
> >>baseurl=http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/legacy-utils/$basearch
> >>
> >>And they have mirrors you can add to the baseurl directives.  The list
> >>is here:
> >>
> >>	http://www.fedoralegacy.org/download/fedoralegacy-mirrors.php
> >

> > Thanks for the info Rick. I took a copy of the yum.conf they had on
> > their RH8 page. I'll change it to the one above.
>
> Their file should work too.  You may wish to add some of their mirror
> servers to your yum.conf so if the main servers are busy, you hit one of
> the mirrors automatically.  To do that, simply add the URL to "baseurl="
> equate, but DON'T add "baseurl=" to it.  In other words, to have two
> servers:
>
> 	baseurl=http://www.fedoralegacy.org/download.....
> 	        http://mirror.server.tld/somedirectory...
>
> It is very important to ONLY have the "baseurl=" on the first server.
> If you put it on the mirrors, it'll confuse yum.  I do this for my
> FC1/FC2 systems.  I have one main and up to four mirrors.
>
> > On a network question, My ADSL Modem/Router with 4 port switch has been
> > working just dandy. I have added my notebook (also RH8) to the second
> > port on the switch and I can ping from one to the other. I cannot get to
> > the internet from the laptop. I set it up the same way as the desktop
> > machine, but using a different IP address (192.168.1.2), same netmask
> > (255.255.255.0), same gateway (the IP address of the Modem/Router,
> > 192.168.1.254), bind to mac address etc. One problem I can see that may
> > cause problems is that both machines have the same name,
> > localhost.localdomain. Would that be causing the problem and should the
> > laptop be changed to a different host name, say localhost2.localdomain?
> > I want to be able to get to the internet from the laptop without firing
> > up the desktop machine, only the Modem/Router. Any advice very welcome.
>
> Well, not really.  localhost.localdomain ties to the IP address
> 127.0.0.1 over the loopback interface, "lo".  While it's better to have
> a "real" hostname, it's not absolutely necessary.
>
> The odds are that your laptop isn't picking up the DNS service, so a
> hostname won't resolve to an IP address.  If you can ping outside
> addresses but not hostnames, then that's your problem.  To confirm it,
> try doing something such as "dig www.redhat.com" and see if you get a
> response.  If not, then DNS is not set up.  Make sure the laptop's
> /etc/resolv.conf file looks like your desktop machine's file.

Thanks for all your help Rick. Much appreciated. The laptop was able to
access the internet when I fired it up this morning. I don't know why it
didn't work yesterday when I connected it to the switch. I checked out
all you said above and all was OK. Maybe finger trouble again...  you
know, loose connection between it and the brain :-) Anyway, things are
lookin' good now!

--

Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols

You can extend EXTRAVERSION infinitely, but after the first 10 or so
characters, it starts to get silly.

	- Russell King on linux-kernel

- IMPORTANT.                                                         -
- The contents of this email and any attachments, which may be con-  -
- fidential, are sent for the personal attention of the addressee/s  -
- only. If you receive this email and are not the intended addressee -
- please inform the sender and delete this email immediately. Use,   -
- copying, disclosure or forwarding of the contents of this email    -
- and/or any attachment/s is not authourised.                        -