IP accounting or calculating the number of bytes received from Internet

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Thu Jun 3 03:25:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 20:05, jludwig wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 22:34, Graeme Nichols wrote:
> > Hi Rick,
> >
> > I have my ADSL connection up and running, I have everything except mail
> > and browsing blocked in my firewall, using Lokkit, and have Tripwire
> > running. Do you know if there is a package out there that would keep
> > track of the cumulative total of bytes received over my Internet
> > Connection? I don't think Ethereal is able to count bytes cumulatively.
> > Also, do you thing it advantageous to use Logsentry and Portsentry to
> > keep tabs on things?
> The firewall iptables keeps track of everything passing each rule.
> This allows you to see - not only the number of packets and bytes that
> get though - all the data.
>
> To view the information <iptables -v -n -L>
>
> For an hourly cumulative file in your crontab file
>
> 0 0-23 * * * iptables -v -n -L >> 'your file name and location'
> --
> jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>

Hi Ludwig (if I have your name wrong, please excuse me), thank you very
much for your help.

--

Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols

Public Key available from http://keyserver.kjsl.com:11371/#extract

Q:	What do you call the money you pay to the government when
	you ride into the country on the back of an elephant?
A:	A howdah duty.

- IMPORTANT.                                                         -
- The contents of this email and any attachments, which may be con-  -
- fidential, are sent for the personal attention of the addressee/s  -
- only. If you receive this email and are not the intended addressee -
- please inform the sender and delete this email immediately. Use,   -
- copying, disclosure or forwarding of the contents of this email    -
- and/or any attachment/s is not authourised.                        -