Disk usage Question

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jun 3 16:56:38 UTC 2004

Stuart Willis wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm about to install Linux on a Z/Frame 390 processor that has triple
> density 3390's, is it possible to define a complete 3390 to Linux, then
> partition the disk (using Disk Druid) for the disk needed to run Linux,
> so that Linux can be either run Natively or under VM.

The filesystems used under VM or native are identical.  Linux itself
manages the filesystems, not VM, so as long as the kernel can get at the
raw disk partition, it'll work fine.  If you're worried about booting
Linux directly, your boot loader will have to know how to deal with the
various partitions and filesystem types.  You could place the Linux
"/boot" filesystem on a partition your boot loader knows about and have
anaconda (the Linux installer) place the Linux boot loader on that
partition.  In this way, your native boot loader would load grub or lilo
(the Linux booter), which would then boot linux the rest of the way.

> Sorry if this a Daft question only I'm A VM/ZOS sysprog and have little
> experience of Linux.

Not a daft question at all.  Somewhat uncommon, but certainly not daft!
-         Okay, who put a "stop payment" on my reality check?        -